Whether you’re moving to Edmonton from across the country, or just moving across town, a little preparation can make moving day, and the days that follow a lot easier on young kids. While you’re probably excited about moving to a new home, remember that moving means leaving behind a place your child knows and loves. Kids are very adaptable beings though, so here’s some things to keep in mind while you’re preparing to move:
1. Give them lots of notice, preferably before you even start packing. They’re going to know something is going on once things are put into boxes, especially if some of their favourite things go missing. Tell them in language they understand - this depends on their age but toddlers will probably get “we’re going to live a different house soon.”
2. Stay positive. Try not to pass any of your worries on to your kids - they’ll pick up on it. Let them know it’s ok to be nervous or confused and that you’re all in it together. Extra cuddles won’t hurt either.
3. Give lots of details. Explain everything that’s happening as you prepare, pack, house hunt - the more time they have to digest the change the easier it will be. Involve the kids in packing up their stuff. When the day approaches tell them what will happen, let them know all their furniture, toys and favourite things are all coming along. Mark the moving date on the calendar and count down the days like you would for a birthday or other special day.
4. Take them on a virtual tour. Show them photos of the new home, post some pictures and nearby landmarks on the fridge or somewhere they can see them often. Check it out with Google Streetview and satellite view. If you’re moving close by, take a drive through the neighbourhood, play at the local park and grab an ice cream at the local shop.
5. Get help. Make sure you have lots of help on moving day, so you have time to spend with the kids at the old a new homes. There are a lot of details to take care of and a lot of work to do and it can be easy to run out hands for holding, or time for telling and listening to stories. Having their beds set up will make the first night’s sleep a lot easier.
All these tips will help make moving day a fun and exciting one for your kids instead of a stressful one.
Thinking About Buying In Edmonton?
At Liv Real Estate we are passionate about this city and all it has to offer. You can stay informed on our blog about all the lifestyle, events, and market news here, or connect with us and find out about our modern approaches to helping you with your individual real estate goals.
Email Us Or Give Us A Call Today! Contact Us